Character FL 3 sec......(fl 0.3 ec 2.7)
Light discontinued 7th April 2010
Point of Ayre(Low) Pre-1939 (Copyright--Unknown)
Light (Fixed white) first exhibited 1890
_____________________Point of Ayre (Low) 1990_________________________Point of Ayre (Low) 2015 showing plaque
Winkie plaque removed October 2015
Point of Ayre 2002
----- Point of Ayre(Low) ------------------------Old Fog Signal --------Point of Ayre
Moved to present location in 1950
Originally 2 superimposed dioptric fifth order fixed lens with argand burners
Probably 1950 when changed to Fifth Order fixed lens with an AGA Flasher using Acetylene Gas.
Which meant an evening walk to raise the blinds,turn on the gas and light the pilot light.
Then a morning walk to turn off the gas and lower the blinds
After the annual storing trip there would be 9 cylinders of gas.
Tideland ML300 Lantern (2005)------------60 watt Bi-filament lamp (2002)
Automation in 1993 introduced a Tideline ML300 Lantern running a 60 watt Bi-filament lamp.
Operation of the light is monitored at Northern Lighthouse Board Monitoring Center.
Attendant visits on a fortnightly basis and checks physical condition of building and that the No.1 filament is in use.
September 2004 the Retained Lighthouse Keeper (Isle of Man) superceded the Attendant and visits on a monthly basis.
Technicians visit at least annually to check,modify and update equipment as required.
All photographs Copyright Fred Fox unless otherwise shown.