1832 Built by Douglas Harbour Commissioners
Fixed white light with 8 reflectors.
1859 Transferred to Northern Lighthouse Board
1892 Complete rebuild
Start made to demolish lighthouse houses
New tower built and equipped.
After old light was extinguished,lantern and equipment removed
tower demolished to a level 10 foot below level of lantern
New tower and light bought into operation that evening.
Old tower then completely demolished and new houses built
Lightkeepers and families resided in Douglas until building works completed
Dioptic 2nd order lens FL(6) 30 secs
6 bulls eye lens plus 180 degree dioptric spherical mirror lens
Dioptric apparatus by Barbier & Co (Paris)
4 wick concentric burner
wind every 30 minutes
Originally had a wick light but sometime after 1903
a Paraffin Vapour Burner was installed
1979 250 watt Mercury Vapour lamp
replaces Chance Brothers 55mm pv burner
Clockwork drive retained
AGA PRB21A Gearless drive + Sealed Beam array installed
FL 10 sec
Range 24 miles
Residential property sold
Sealite Lanterns Type SL-300-1D5-2
Range 15 miles
1908 Reed Type Fog signal established
All building and running expenses including salary of a new second
assistant keeper met by Isle of Man Harbour Board.
Shows where original fog signal was moved about 120 yards after complaints about "Moaning Minnie"
1938 New Fog Signal installed at a cost of about £2,000 to Douglas Harbour Board
Plus maintenance charges of about £300 per year
1938 Fog Signal in the square outbuilding.
1938 Lister engines two (18/2 series)
Diesel engines run on a paraffin/oil mix (4 gallons paraffin to ½ pint of oil)
Diaphone Every 20 sec.
PLK house/Engineroom reverts to Isle of Man Harbour Board